The University of Queensland’s traffic and parking regulations are defined and regulated under:

If you breach the regulations, you may receive an infringement notice.

Parking regulations

Parking regulations apply 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:

  • Paid parking applies from 7am until 9pm Monday to Friday.
  • Paid parking does not apply on weekends, public holidays or special university holidays.

You should park only in the appropriate places:

  • Do not park facing approaching traffic (on the wrong side of the road).
  • If an area is not obviously signed to allow parking, then it is not a parking area.
  • Do not park on grassed areas.

Parking regulations are enforced on all UQ campuses and sites:

  • License plate recognition technology is used for parking enforcement.
  • Speed limits on campus are enforced by the Queensland Police Service.

Parking signs and lines

Casual parking signs

the sign for casual parking signs

All casual parking signs have both a zone number and zone colour.

The zone number is used to identify your location when starting a session with CellOPark.

The zone colour is used to identify how much you will pay when using the CellOPark app. See paying for parking for examples.

Totem poles in each zone underneath one of these signs have details on registering and paying using CellOPark.

The number before the P refers to the number of hours that paid parking is allowed in that area. The number '14' means 14 hours. The word ‘daily’ or ‘hourly’ after the P tells you if it is a daily charge or an hourly charge.

Yellow chevrons

Road surface with painted yellow chevrons on it

Yellow chevrons mean no stopping at any time.

They are installed for safety reasons such as ramp access or emergency exits.

Yellow lines

A street featuring a yellow line along the curb

Yellow lines mean no stopping, usually on the side of the road. This also means no parking beyond the verge or on the grass anywhere next to a line.

Paying for infringements

You can pay for infringements online, by phone, by mail or in person. University funds cannot be used to pay for parking infringements.

Online payment

You can pay for infringements online with the UQ Infringement Payment Gateway. To pay your fine, enter your registration and the infringement number.

To view your infringement history, enter your registration number and state.

You can also lodge and manage appeals using the Infringement Payment Gateway.

Phone payment

You can pay for infringements via credit card by calling PF Assist, Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 4.30pm (excluding public holidays). 

Mail payment

If you send payment by mail, quote the 8-digit infringement number and the vehicle registration number. Cheques and money orders should be made payable to The University of Queensland and mailed to PF Assist.

You should not send cash by mail.

In-person payment

At St Lucia, you can pay by EFTPOS or credit card at PF Assist, on Level 2 of the Prentice Building (Building 42).

At Gatton, you can pay by cash, EFTPOS or credit card at the Gatton cashier, located in the NW Briton Administration Building (Building 8101).

Lodging an infringement appeal

If you believe there may be cause for your infringement to be waived, you can lodge a written appeal through UQ's Infringement Payment Gateway. Appeals must be lodged within 28 days of the infringement date. 

To lodge an appeal, you can either:

If you want to include additional information with your appeal,  you can complete a PF03 Infringement Form (PDF, 108KB) or provide other supporting evidence, such as photographs, screenshots or transaction receipts. Upload any supporting evidence with your appeal.

You will receive a letter about the outcome of the appeal decision approximately 2 to 3 weeks after you lodge the appeal. 

Unpaid infringements

You have 28 days from the date of issue shown on the infringement notice to choose one of the options offered on the reverse of the notice. If you do not choose an option within 28 days, the University reserves the right to start a prosecution against you in a Magistrates Court.

You will be responsible for obtaining your own legal advice before the court hearing. If found guilty of the offence, you may be fined and required to pay additional costs. If you do not appear on the date set for the hearing, the offence may be heard in your absence.

Alternatively, UQ will:

  • Search the registration of the offending vehicle in the Queensland Transport vehicle database to find the name and address of the registered owner. A $12.50 fee for this search is added to the original fine amount. A Reminder Notice is then forwarded to the owner of the vehicle.
  • Wait a further 28 days before referring the matter to the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) for collection. The University pays an upfront fee for this service which is then added to the total amount outstanding to the Registry. You may be required to pay additional fees and SPER may take any of the following actions:
    • Suspend your driver’s license, or your ability to obtain a driver’s license.
    • Give a Fine Collection Notice to your bank ordering the transfer of money from your bank account.
    • Give a Fine Collection Notice to your employer ordering the deduction of money from your wages.
    • Give an Enforcement Warrant to an Enforcement Officer to seize and sell your property.
    • Give an Arrest and Imprisonment Warrant to a police officer.

Denying liability

If you were served with a Reminder Notice as the owner of the offending vehicle, you are taken to have committed the offence. You may deny liability for the offence by providing a Statutory Declaration stating that the vehicle:

  • was being used illegally
  • was being used by another person (nominated by you)
  • was being used by another person you cannot identify
  • has been sold or otherwise disposed of.

If your Statutory Declaration is received within 28 days and the actual offender can be identified, a prosecution may be undertaken against them instead of you. If the actual offender can't be identified, a prosecution against you may be continued in a Magistrates Court.

Download a Statutory Declaration form (PDF, 15KB).